She has a prodigious memory for these things, however, these things I never ask about, and do not find important or interesting. And because it's what she remembers, and what she finds interesting, it's what she asks me about. It must seem to her, I know, that I'm very ignorant about my own wife, my own children, all my friends, because I never know the things she asks me. I even find myself at a loss when, frustrated, she asks, "Well, what do you know?"
I know that I like the smell of my wife's hair, no matter what shampoo she uses. I know the sight of my son's strong back makes me tear up, and that my daughters are as delicate in their movements as deer. I know that the sound of their laughter harmonizes strangely with my heart-beat. I know my friends are those people I can be silent with, and who will drink wine with me while the sun sets, shining brightly into our faces. None of these things seem like things I can tell her, though, when she asks about my children's grades, or my neighbor's credit score. When I'm talking to her, I can't remember what it is that my relationships are about, I so obviously lack all exact knowledge of those I love.

I LIKE THIS SO MUCH.
ReplyDeleteAnd my captcha is deedi. Which is like dee dee dee, which is how this feels.