Insecure people make me insecure, because I am insecure about bringing about their insecurities, with carelessness or flippancy. But secure people also make me insecure, with their carelessness and their flippancy, and because I desire to be as secure as they are. But the most secure-seeming people I know I have often found to be deep-down insecure, perhaps the most insecure of all. They have become the best at hiding their insecurity, in order to feel more secure by seeming more secure.
When I think about all of our insecurities, and the way they cause each other or lay one another to rest, it does not make me less insecure. It might even make me more insecure, realizing that we are all this way. But it does make me want to rest a quiet hand on everybody's hearts, one at a time, and keep it there for a long beat or two, securely.

No comments:
Post a Comment